Study 5 From The Book of Hebrews Is: Hebrews 4:14 – 5:10
- 4:14-16. What truths concerning our Christian High Priest are we here exhorted to confess, and what consequents privileges open to our enjoyment are we here exhorted fully to possess?
- 5:1-10. What qualifications for high priesthood are set forth in verses 1:4? How are these possessed by Christ as a higher level and a fuller way than could ever be true of a Levitical priest? What benefit can He consequently make ours, and on what condition?
- The order of treatment in 5:1-4 is reversed in 5:5-10. The three points dealt with are (a) function, (b) understanding sympathy, (c) appointment to office.
- 5:3. Every Jewish high priest was ‘bound to offer sacrifice for his own sins’. Contrast 4:15. Jesus was sinless.
- 5:7-9. These verses give an amazing insight into our Lord’s true humanity and earthly humility.