Study 2 From the Book of Matthew is: Matthew 2
- Consider the significance of the coming of the wise men from the East in the light of such passage as Is. 49:6; Lk. 2:32; Jn. 10:16.
- Note the different reactions to the birth of Jesus from the wise men, the chief priests and scribes, and Herod. How does this prove the truth of Jn. 9:39; 18:37?
- Notice the accuracy of fulfillment of prophecy in our Lord’s infancy (verses 15:17, 18; 23). What does this teach us about the nature and authority of prophecy?
- Verse 1. ‘Wise men’: the word ‘Magi’ refers to learned astrologers or those who practiced magical arts. There is nothing but tradition to make them kings.
- Verse 23. There is no Old Testament quotation about the Messiah as a Nazarene. Matthew may be making a play on the Hebrew word nester meaning ‘branch’ from Is. 11:1 and Je. 23:5. Or the phrase may refer to the contempt associated with Christ’s home background. Cf. Jn. 1:46; Is. 53:2, 3.