Study 6 From the Book of Matthew is: Matthew 5:17-48
- Our Lord demonstrates His respect for the law in verses 17-20. What does verse 20 mean? What does verse 20 mean? Does it leave us any hope? Cf. 3: 20-22; 8:3, 4. In what way does our Lord make the law more demanding?
- What is the relevance in our modern world of Christ’s teaching in verses 33-48 on the subject of oaths and taking vengeance? Consider the application of the question in verse 47, ‘What more are you doing than others?’ to the whole subject of Christian love.
- Comparing verses 31, 32, with 19: 3-9, what is our Lord’s teaching on the sanctity of marriage and the possibility of divorce?
- Verse 18. ‘Not an iota, not a dot’: a reference to the smallest letter or significant part of a letter in the Hebrew language.
- Verse 48. ‘perfect’ has more the meaning of ‘mature’ or full -grown than any concept of sinless perfection. Cf. Lk. 6:36.