Study 2 From the Book of Zephaniah is: Zephaniah 2:1 – 3:7
- What phrases are used to describe the nations over whom Judgment is impending? See 2: 1, 10, 15. What was especially sinful about Nineveh’s attitude (2:15; cf. Is. 47:6-11), and has it a modern counterpart? What qualities does God look for in those who desire his help (2:3)?
- ‘Hidden on the day of the wrath of the Lord’ (2:3). Is there such a hiding-place? Je. 23:24; Am. 9:3; Rev. 6:15 – 17; Rom. 5:9; 1 Thes. 1:10.
- The indictment against Jerusalem is the most grievous of all (3: 1-7) Cf. Lk. 12:47, 48. List the evils found in her, and consider especially how they were sins against the Lord.
- 2: 1. ‘ Come together…’ i.e., solemn assembly to seek the Lord.
- 2: 13-15. No man alive at the time had known anything but the greatness and glory of Assyria. So these words, would have had an astonishing impact.
- 3: 5-7. The Lord’s faithfulness in judgment on their enemies is matched by the shamelessness of His people. They were heedless of the lessons He was seeking to teach them.