Study 2 From the Book of Jeremiah is: Jeremiah 2: 1 – 3:5
A review of Israel’s backslidings from the beginning.
- According to this section, what are the components of backsliding? Compare Israel’s beginnings with her later condition. Is any of this story true of you? Cf. Gal. 5:7.
- 2:12, 13. ‘Living’ water means fresh water from an ever-flowing spring. 6:7; Jn. 4:13, 14. What do the ‘fountain of living waters and the ‘broken cisterns’ stand for in spiritual experience? Do you take as serious a view of backsliding as God does?
- What evil results does Jeremiah say have already followed from the nation’s forgetfulness of God?
- 2:10, ‘Kedar’ was a tribe east of Jordan. The verse means ‘search from east to west…’
- 2:16. ‘Memphis’ and ‘Tahpanhes’: cities of Egypt.
- 2:25. ‘Do not run thy foot bare, and thy throat dry in the eager pursuit of strange God (Driver).
- 3:4. An allusion probably to the feigned penitence of many at the time of Josiah’s reform. 3:10; 2 Ch. 34:33.