Study 7 From the Book of Jeremiah is: Jeremiah 9:23 – 10:25
- 9:23, 24. What is better than wisdom, power and wealth? Cf. also 1 Cor.1:26-31; Phil. 3:8-11. What do you set most store by in the normal course of life?
- Set down, on the one hand, the characteristics here mentioned of the idols of the heathen, and on the other, the character of the living God.
- What are the implications of 10:23, 24? Have you learnt to live by them? See 30:11 and cf. Pr. 3:5-7, 11, 12.
- 9:25, 26. All these nations practiced circumcision, and Judah, despise the fact that her circumcision was ordained to mark a unique relationship with God, takes her place here between Egypt and Edom because her spiritually uncircumcised state (cf. 4:4; Rom. 2:28, 29) has rendered her physical circumcision no more meaningful than theirs.
- 10:11. Probably originally a reader’s marginal comment, in response the denunciation of idols.
- 10:17. ‘Bundle’: a few hastily gathered possessions for immediate fight.
- 10:21. ‘Shepherds’: see 2:8 and mg.; 3:15.