Study 1 From the Book of Philippians is: Philippians 1:1-11
- Verses 3-7. Why is the joy with which Paul remembers the Philippians remarkable? Cf. Acts 12:22; 1Thes. 2:2. How had they made up for the treatment given to Paul at the start? What made him sure that they were now permanently on the right road?
- Verses 8:11. What twofold preparations for the return of Christ does Paul pray that the Philippians will make? Is it really, they who are to make it? Cf. 2:12, 13. How will this preparation be reflected in their character and behaviour? Express Paul’s petitions for them in your own words, and then use them in your own praying.
- Make a list of the places in the Epistle where Paul stresses that the is writing to all the Philippians Christians. (see especially verses 1, 3, 7, 8.) Does any part of the letter suggest a reason for this?
- Verse 1. ‘Saints’; a name for the people of Christ as ‘holy’ or set apart for God’s possession and service.
- Verse 5. See 4:15, 16.
- Verse 6. ‘The day of Jesus Christ’: i.e., the coming day of His manifestation in glory, in the light of which the truth about men’s lives will be revealed. Cf. 2:16; 1 Cor. 1:7, 8; 3:13; 2 Thes. 1:9, 10.