Study 6 From the Books of Epistle of John is: The Epistle of 1 John 5: 4-21
- The apostle has already given a warning against the subtle attraction of the world (see 2:15-17). Now he reveals how the world may be conquered. Who does he say will overcome the world, and by what means? See verses 4-6; see also Note 1 below.
- A faith that can effect such great results must be well attested. What five fold witness is given in verses 7-11, and what marvelous fact does the witness attest?
- Verses 13-20. There are here five great certainties concerning which John says ‘We know’. What are they? Are you building your life upon this foundation?
- Verse 6. This verse probably refers to our Lord’s baptism and death, and not to Jn. 19:34. He came not only to call us to repentance by the witness of His baptism, but also to wash away our sins with His blood. The two sacraments of the Christian church are the sanding memorials of these things.
- Verses 9 and 10. God has spoken to man in Jesus with the utmost clarity and finality. He that believes has an inward witness: he that believes not makes God a liar.
- Verses 16. ‘ A mortal sin’: i.e, the deliberate, purposeful choice of darkness in preference to light.
- Verse 21. ‘Idols’: anyone professing to worship God, but who denies that Jesus is the Son of God is worshiping a false God. ‘Be on your guard against all such idol’s John’s final word.