Study 7 From the Books of John is: The Epistles of 2 and 3 John
As I mentioned before the break from Isaiah was a short one. Tomorrow we will go back to the book of Isaiah chapters 40-66.
- Compare the tests of a true Christian found in 2 John with those given in 1 John.
- Consider the three men mentioned in 3 John, all professing Christians. What does the apostle praise in Gaius? What faults does he find in Diotrephes? What threefold witness does he give in praise of Demetrius?
- What dangers arise from listening to false teachers? What is John’s answer to the claims of ‘advanced thought’? See Notes 3.
- 2 Jn. 2. Cf. ‘Whom I love in truth… for the sake of the truth’
- 2 Jn. 4. ‘Following the truth…’: i.e., living true Christian lives in obedience to the command which we have received from the Father.
- 2 Jn. 9. ‘goes ahead’: i.e., claims a knowledge superior to God’s revelation.
- 3 Jn. 5. Cf. Heb. 13:2.